WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY



Early in my teaching career, I worked at a high school that made people gasp when I told them that I worked there. It was no big deal to me. I did not encounter many disciplinary issues at all. However, the majority of the students that I taught were not motivated to learn. Each one had their own story and I understood, but on this one occasion I was a bit fed up.

I had been teaching them the structure of a persuasive essay for a few days and wanted them to write with a bit more command. I was teaching the counterargument. What I thought would be one lesson took several.

With that said, on one particular night I was confused and frustrated about why my students were struggling so much to address the counterargument in their essay. At that point a light bulb went off. I decided to write a model for them to analyze (I found that the exemplars that I wrote for them helped a bit more than the exemplars found on the web because I wrote about topics that they could relate to, so that's' why I opted to write my own). I began typing feverishly. Once completed I was quite proud of my work. I shared it with my mother, who was an assistant principal at the time, and she enjoyed it, but advised against me giving it to the students because it may be misinterpreted by a student and forwarded to a parent, who might then complain to my superiors. She suggested that I check with my immediate supervisor first. The next day I shared it with my department chairperson and she loved it but agreed that it might be taken out of context and advised that I not distribute it. Well, that was over five years ago, and it has just been sitting on my computer waiting to be read. I hope that you enjoy it!
 

Dear Students,
            Am I just a glorified babysitter? Do I work at a high school where I’m expected to teach Language Arts or do I work at a free daycare for teenagers? I can’t figure it out. Since I can’t seem to figure it out, and on most days feel like I’m in that daycare, I’ve decided to write a persuasive letter detailing why I don’t feel like teaching today.
            I don’t feel like teaching because more than half of the students who enter my classroom lack the basic tools for learning. They come in without pens, pencils, or notebooks. Many of them don’t even come with the mindset to learn a new skill or to practice one that’s already been taught. How can I teach individuals who chose not to learn? I hear when students complain when I have them take notes from the board or because I give them work. Believe it or not, it doesn’t bother me. I used to be a teenager. I complained too. What does bother me is when students come without pen or paper and have absolutely no intention of doing anything knowing that there is always something to be done.
            I don’t feel like teaching  students who miss days of class or who comes to class late and want me to stop what I’m doing with the students who come to class everyday and on time just to give them special attention and reteach what I’ve already taught. Why should I? I’m tired of repeating myself over and over again because students are playing around, talking, or using their phones.  Why waste my time? I’m thinking about turning into that teacher who just gives book work and sits behind my desk. If the students act up, why should I care? When I put together lessons and attempt to teach them, the students don’t.
            Even though I don’t feel like teaching I understand that there are a handful of students who actually come to my class to learn. There aren’t as many as I would like, but they are there. If I decide to not teach today they may feel slighted and like they’re being punished for someone else’s behavior. Although this may be true, these are the same students who will take initiative and busy themselves by reviewing their notes, requesting additional work or revising an essay from their writing folder. Oh, and I haven’t forgotten about the parents who may complain. “I sent my child to school to learn. Why aren’t you teaching?” My response to that is “It’s nearly impossible to teach students who are unprepared, misbehaving, late or just absent. I need your help.” I can’t do this alone.
            To sum it all up, I guess I’m just saying that I’m not teaching today. Maybe tomorrow, but not today. I’m tired of sounding like a broken record saying the same things everyday:Sign in. You’re late; You should have a pen; Get your objective and do now; There’s paper in the basket, but where’s your notebook?; Put the phone away; Turn off the music; I need your attention; Cut it out! The list goes on and on. I know that the students are tired of hearing it because I’m tired of saying. Today, I’m taking a break and I am not teaching because I just don’t feel like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

YES, I'M JUDGING