Breathe : How to Survive Teaching


I’m suffocating.
I can’t breathe.
Miss!
Miss?
Miss . . . Miss
to my left
on my side
behind me
I can’t. I’m only one person.
Ding! Urgent! I need this by the end of the day.
Miss?
Miss!
Miss!?!
Hey! How are you? I wanted to ask you . . .
I’m short of breath.
block 1, block 2, block 3, block 4
Oh yeah, block 3 is free.
But not really
Prep . . . teach . . . grade . . . repeat
But did you breathe?
Tests, diagnostics, interims, quarterlies
grade them and your own
and plan and grade that too
But, did you breathe?
And at home, I shut down
Can’t work, but think.
Always thinking
But, did you breathe?
But, I’m home.
Breathing?
Thinking, sleeping
But not breathing?
I think
But not.
How?
Just breathe.
Inhale . . .
lesson plans
Hold it . . .
Prepping specific lessons
Exhale . . .
Grading papers
Slowly . . .
Disciplinary issues: fights, cursing, sleeping,
Throwing, walking out
I can’t, I can’t breathe!
Why can’t I breathe?
Stop and just breathe.
Slow down. Focus on your breathing.
But, how when my breath is
Being sucked from me?
Breath is life, right?
I’ve tried.
I’ve been trying.
But, I can’t breathe.

by The Teacher Diaries (J.N.J.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING