SO RUDE




I am embarrassed by my students. And not just my students, but the entire student body. Today, I took three of my classes to the library to take a test on the computers. The good thing about that was that all of the computers worked. The bad thing was that there were other teachers there to observe my students when they misbehaved. They weren’t terrible, but they weren’t working as if they were taking a test.

Last week there was an afternoon assembly. There were guest speakers presenting to encourage the students to perfect their musical and poetic talents. It was organized to engage the students, but they would not stop yelling and arguing in the audience long enough to allow the guests to speak. Even with the teachers, including myself, working tirelessly to calm them down. Side note: only six teachers showed up to the assembly, while the others were no-shows, so we were clearly outnumbered. I was so embarrassed. These people did not expect to speak to an auditorium full of unwilling and disrespectful students. They were so rude and would not listen or cooperate. It provided a terrible snapshot of our school and I’m certain that this group of people will not return any time soon.

It saddens me that these students are missing out on so many opportunities because they believe that their behavior is normal and acceptable outside of school or their communities. I do not think that they are lost, but I do think that they need a real wake-up call before reality kicks their butt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING