YES, I'M JUDGING



Here I go again sharing my two cents on something that came across my feed on Facebook. The title of the post “My Title 1 Kids Have $300 Shoes. And It’s Nobody Else’s Business” immediately caught my attention, because 1) I teach at a Title 1 high school and 2) I do judge the students and their parents when I see them with expensive products.

The author of this article wrote with a strong tone of sympathy and compassion for her, presumably, immigrant student and his choice to purchase a pair of $300 soccer cleats. She doted on the fact that his family struggled financially and that he actually paid for the shoes himself by working with his father doing landscaping. She complimented the student’s motivation to work hard to get what he wanted and warned teachers against making assumptions and judgements about what our students and their families chose to purchase with their money.

Now this is all fine and good, but it is not the narrative for most of the students that I teach at MY Title 1 school. She mentioned the families who “buying steak with food stamps” in her article and these families are the subject of my response. My students come from families who lease luxury cars while living In subsidized/section 8 housing. These families also send their students to school with $300 sneakers for them to compare to their peers and mock those whose priorities aren’t the newest footwear. These families allow their daughters to miss school to get their hair done in elaborate styles that cost hundreds of dollars (I’m talking bundles of human hair that flows down the back). These families are more concerned about preparing for prom than paying senior dues. The list goes on and on.

Yes, I’m judging. However, it is not a blanket judgement. I am well aware of my students’ needs and priorities. And much like the author of this article, I commend those students and families who work hard for the things that they want and need. And I will also note that I find my hardest working students to be those with immigrant parents or who are immigrants themselves. There is an obvious difference in the work ethic and parental involvement of these individuals.  But, most of my students and their families, who also come from struggling households, make these purchases for show. Their goal is to not look poor or like they’re struggling. There is a common saying that goes “I don’t look like what I’ve been through” and you don’t have to, but don’t go broke in the effort. I understand and respect that parents want to provide the best for their children, but they need to instill the value of the dollar and humility. These students are flashy and obnoxious, flaunting their new things and discussing what they’ll get next while failing classes due to lack of effort or preparation. No bookbag. No pen. No pencil. No binder. No notebook. With the latest iPhone, but refusing to access the eTextbook or Google Docs to complete the homework that is cellphone friendly. Oh, they look nice, but how far will the longest weave or newest sneakers get them after high school? How long will they be able to live with their parents before the rent increases and they’ve overstayed their welcome because they have become burdens for doing exactly what they did in high school? Parents, don’t create society’s derelicts. And yes, I’m judging.


You can read the original article here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY