THANKS, BUT NO THANKS. I WILL NOT BE TEACHING SUMMER SCHOOL.


Being an effective teacher can be both a blessing and a curse. While you get great evaluations, you are also expected to do it all. You can handle the easily excitable student and lead workshops. Well, I know that while I give off the appearance that I can do it all, I need a break. About a month before summer vacation began, my supervisor texted me the following: Hey. Are you interested in working summer school?

 I politely replied with "No thank you :-) . Thanks for asking." I haven’t worked during the summer in almost ten years. I put in so much energy during the school year that I need the rest.

During the last week of school, one of the school psychologists approached me informing me that someone recommended me to him to teach the incoming special needs students for a new program. While I was again flattered, I politely declined. Much of the special needs population that attends our school have severe behavioral and emotional needs that I was not willing to sacrifice my summer for.

Finally, while I was on vacation, a different administrator left a voicemail for me, asking if I was available to teach during the last three weeks of the summer. Clearly he didn’t get the memo. I DO NOT TEACH IN THE SUMMER. I returned the call to decline.

It is not that I don’t enjoy teaching, but during the school year teaching inevitably spills over into my personal life. I need summer vacation to reset and recharge so that I can be on top of my game from September to June.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING