IT IS WHAT IT IS


 
Year 13 teacher here. It’s safe to say that I am officially part of the seasoned crew. With the years of experience comes one of two things: higher or lower expectations. That’s because older teachers tend to be stuck in their ways or highly experienced with a wealth of teaching strategies for every type of learner. I’m a mix of the two. Because of my experience, I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to be a model teacher. When I’m feeling overwhelmed, I try to pretend that I’m not and I have everything under control.

With that said, no matter how many years of experience and how comfortable you are in your tenure, you have to be observed. No one is exempt. Well, that time for me was about two weeks ago. In the past, even as recently as last year, I would always plan a spectacular lesson to present. Even if it meant veering from my lesson plans. It would include activities that showed that the students had learned a lot about a topic and would be very hands on and creative to get the students excited. I have even splurged on snacks as an incentive for an observation lesson. On occasion I would give the students the heads up that I was going to be observed, but I found that it didn’t make much of a difference. I would stay up the night before until well past midnight trying to perfect transitions, directions, worksheets, and questioning. Everything had to be perfect. The result of this was consistently good, but never great. Because I would reinvent the wheel instead of being organic, my lessons lack authenticity. But, this year was different.

This year I am tired. This year I’ve exhausted every bit of strength that I have and I didn’t feel like planning for hours for one observation. So what did I do? I presented the lesson that I’d always intended to teach. My supervisor asked me when I wanted her to come, and I told her to come the next day to get it over with. I’m tired of the dog and pony show. I am who I am. It is what it is. It’s that balance of being experienced and stuck in my ways. So she came. I taught. Students learned. There was evidence of learning. She left.

For the following week I obsessively checked my portfolio to see if my observation and ratings had been posted only to find nothing. It’s funny how the very observation that I didn’t stress over was now causing me a bit of stress in anticipation for the feedback. I even had dreams that I’d checked my ratings and they’d added up to a pretty impressive score only to discover that the scoring range had shifted and my rating was now mediocre. Why did I care now? Because my reputation is attached to that evaluation and I have expectations to meet because I am seasoned.

I finally had my post-observation conference last week and it was great! I received a healthy balance of both the highest and second highest ratings in all areas. Receiving such great feedback from my supervisor was the motivation and validation that I needed to continue to do what I do every day. I teach. No special performances. No fancy props. Just a regular day in my class is enough to be effective. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING