STICKING IT OUT


Just when I felt like I was at my wit's end, a sign of hope crossed my path nudging me to push forward. By now it is no secret that there is a lot to be desired in the role of a teacher in today’s society. I have mentioned in several posts how displeased I am with the policies, expectations, unrealistic demands, and challenging student behavior. It is a lot to deal with and has proven to even be anxiety inducing. I have, on numerous occasions, seriously entertained the idea of leaving the profession, but the fear of not finding the best footing in a different field has made me a bit apprehensive.  I know education. I know how to teach. I am a teacher. I have been for over ten years. Even though I have been feeling stuck lately, this is what I know and I’m pretty good at it.

 So what caused this change in attitude toward switching careers? A perusal of the contract book. While checking on a totally different topic, I took a look at the salary guide and realized that I am a lot closer to the top step than I realized. I pondered whether money was enough to keep me in the classroom and decided that it is. The numbers were impressive enough for me to overlook the trials of my work life. I also considered that if I were to enter a new field, I would most likely earn an entry level salary. Sticking it out was looking much more appealing. I began to imagine the trips I could take during the summer, the massages that I could afford so that I could decompress on the weekends, the little luxuries that make me happy. I tried to convince myself that these things were enough to make me stick it out. However, I did think about the job’s impact on my mental health. How would I address that? Things aren’t always as effective when it comes to the mind. Is my mental health worth the acquisition of financial security? This is what I’m left to think about. For now, or until the next incident arises, it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING