Yup, That Just Happened


It was one of the most embarrassing experiences in my entire teaching career.

We were preparing to go on a field trip for the day. There were about 40 students and six faculty members gathered in the library waiting for the bus to arrive and take us to our destination.  This would be the day that my period begins. I’d taken my preemptive aspirin to ward off any cramps that may have wanted to sneak up on me. I needed to be in good spirit and strength because this trip required a lot of walking and attentiveness.

 “The bus is five minutes away.” The announcement was made and the students were getting more excited, because any time out of the classroom is great even if they’re still learning. As we did one final roll call and made last minute changes to the students assigned to each chaperone I felt it happening. Suddenly. Now even though it was an issue all through high school and college, it hadn’t been a problem in over ten years. Yet, somehow it was happening right that very moment, in slow motion, in front of everyone, supervisor included. I vomited in the garbage can. It snuck up on me and I didn’t have time to make it to the restroom. It was absolutely disgusting because I attempted to block it with my hand while running to the garbage which caused some of it to not only be on my hand but mashed on my face as well. I was horrified and quickly escaped to the teachers’ lounge restroom to clean up and recover.

 Needless to say I was extremely embarrassed and certain that by now half of the school assumed that I was pregnant. My supervisor told me that I could skip the trip and go home since I already had a sub for my classes, but I actually felt better after “the incident”. I must say that I have been teaching for many years, but that was by far one of, if not the, most embarrassing experiences I’ve had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HERE WE GO AGAIN

WHY I DON’T FEEL LIKE TEACHING TODAY

YES, I'M JUDGING